Subject: Call for papers--AIC Wooden Artifacts Group

Call for papers--AIC Wooden Artifacts Group

From: Stephanie Auffret <srabou<-a>
Date: Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Call for papers
AIC Wooden Artifacts Group (WAG)
"Connecting to Conservation: Outreach and Advocacy"
AIC 40th Annual Meeting
Albuquerque, NM
8-11 May 2012

The American Institute for Conservation (AIC) will be celebrating
its 40th anniversary in Albuquerque, New Mexico, May 8-11, 2012.

This is a call for papers from the Wooden Artifacts Group (WAG).
Please consider being part of that unique annual meeting by
submitting contributions to our specialty group session. The theme
will be "Connecting to Conservation: Outreach and Advocacy", an
exploration of how conservation connects with allied professionals,
the press, our clients and the general public.

Suggestions for topics:

    Education and Training: how can we enhance the education of
    young conservators as well as professional development of
    practicing conservators? How can we reach the new generation of
    conservators and provide them with the background that meets
    current needs, in museums as well as in private practice?

    Public outreach: through conservators working on public view,
    consultations with private owners within institutions or
    discussions with private clients, school programs, blogging,
    publishing, videos, exhibitions etc.: How do we communicate what
    we do to others? How do we advocate for our field and make
    people aware of the importance of preserving Cultural Heritage?

    Conservation and the media: press, literature etc.

    Conservation and fundraising.

    Conservation and political advocacy.

    Participatory conservation:  collaboration with indigenous
    representatives, artists and other stakeholders with special
    understanding of cultural heritage.

    Outreach within our own field: outreach in between conservators
    to develop sub-specialties that are at the junction of two or
    more specialties.

All abstracts should be 300 words or less, include the title, the
authors' names, professional titles and affiliations and submitted
for consideration directly to

    Ruth Seyler
    Membership and Meetings Director
    rseyler<-a t->conservation-us< . >org

or online at

    <URL:http://www.conservation-us.org/
        index.cfm?fuseaction=page.viewpage&pageid=712>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Further information about the meeting and funding opportunities is
available on the AIC website. Presentations will be 20-25 minutes in
length and papers will be published after the conference in the WAG
Postprints. Submissions may be submitted for presentation to the
general session or specialty groups. Specialty Session papers are
encouraged to address the meeting theme, but may also explore other
topics relevant to that specialty.

Deadline for abstracts: Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Deadline for posters: Tuesday, September 20, 2011

To discuss ideas or topics, please feel free to contact

    Stephanie Auffret,
    WAG Program Chair
    302-888-4607
    sauffret<-a t->winterthur< . >org

Steanie Auffret
WAG Program Chair
Associate Furniture Conservator
Winterthur Museum, Garden and Library
Winterthur/University of Delaware Program in Art Conservation
USA

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 20, 2011