Subject: Database and software for conservation records

Database and software for conservation records

From: Sarah Norris <groovin<-a>
Date: Friday, August 5, 2011
Lisa Muccigrosso <lisa.muccigrosso [at] wisconsinhistory__org>
writes

>Essentially we need bibliographic information, condition, location,
>narrative description, exhibit history, and before/after images for
>the items we're working with. Past treatments would be entered into
>the database from paper records.
>
>I am curious what people might recommend for this kind of project.
>Does anyone use a full museum management system like PastPerfect
>solely for conservation treatment records? Would something like
>Filemaker Pro be more suited to this kind of project?

At the Texas State Library and Archives Commission, we have pursued
a conservation treatment database much like the one described by
Nancy Ash at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.  We contracted with a
local software developer to create a MySQL-based system with a web
interface.  The web interface makes the system accessible on any
number of computers, and through password control we can offer
different views to the conservator and to other staff members.  The
system aids workflow by allowing staff members to enter items for
conservation and to track those items' status.

Item and treatment information is entered in checkboxes and text
fields based on traditional documentation forms.  The system can
search across these fields to generate lab statistics and provide
collections survey data.

Once treatment photos are associated with a treatment report, the
system can generate access-copy PDF files of the written and
photographic reports for viewing and printing.  It also
automatically saves high-resolution photos and PDF/A files (archival
PDF) of the full treatment report to another location on the server.
The PDF/A format functions outside of the database, so the treatment
reports will be available should the database crash or become
outdated.

Sarah Norris
Conservator
Texas State Library and Archives Commission
512-463-5446
Fax: 512-463-5430

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 20, 2011