Subject: Doll

Doll

From: Cyndie Lack <cyndielack<-a>
Date: Thursday, August 4, 2011
Susan White <smwhitewhite [at] aim__com> writes

>I am currently in the process of restoring two antique dolls: both
>are "bisque" dolls, however the larger of the two, which has a white
>leather body, and linen lower legs has a porcelain head.  In
>researching dollmaking I discovered that the porcelain head is
>likely a later addition.  Even so, I've decided that this
>replacement head needs to go back onto the doll, as the restoration
>is part of it's history (these porcelain doll heads became available
>for purchase in the late 19th century because homemade dolls became
>a sort of craze.
>The problem I'm having is how best to sew on the porcelain head.
>Does anyone know how these heads were sewn onto the leather bodies?

I am a paintings conservator but know people involved in making and
restoring porcelain dolls so I looked into this and received the
following comments:

   "I don't think the head would be sewn on---there is usually a
    shoulder plate involved."

   "I would have to have a picture of the doll.  What kind of
    restoration is she doing to the head and the leather body?  What
    are the markings on the back of the doll's head?  We also need
    to know more about the origin(name) and date of the doll. This
    info. may be on the back of the head."

Cyndie Lack
Paintings Conservator
Edmonton, Canada