Subject: Exhibiting vulcanized rubber

Exhibiting vulcanized rubber

From: Dennis Kelles-Krause <dennis.krause<-a>
Date: Tuesday, August 9, 2011
Silvia Manrique <silvia.manrique [at] umfa__utah__edu> writes

>We recently acquired a Chakaia Booker sculpture made out of
>automotive tires which we would like to put on a permanent
>exhibition. ...

Rubber objects should not be treated with any proprietary
preparations such as WD-40 or Armour all. Rather than 'rejuvenating'
the rubber they will lead to accelerated degradation, and will also
trap dirt and dust to the surface of the rubber component. The key
factors in preserving vulcanised rubber seem to be cool temperatures
and no UV light sources. 50% RH is acceptable, and should also
prevent any corrosion occurring to the ferrous metal components.

Dennis Kelles-Krause
Conservator, Organics and Inorganics
Science Museum
Red Barn Gate