Subject: Low-tech preventive conservation techniques

Low-tech preventive conservation techniques

From: Dominica D'Arcangelo <dominica<-a>
Date: Tuesday, August 9, 2011
Heritage Without Borders <URL:http://www.heritagewithoutborders.org>
is a new social enterprise which matches heritage and conservation
professionals with people in developing countries who want help to
conserve and interpret their cultural heritage.  One of our projects
involves training museum professionals, with extremely limited
resources, in basic preventive conservation techniques.  Can anyone
provide inexpensive, lo-tech conservation solutions that can be
taught in this context (eg making your own insect traps, tests for
packing materials)?  I heard that several years ago there was a
conference along the lines of this topic.  Any information would be
gratefully received.

Dominica D'Arcangelo
Co-director, Heritage Without Borders
Institute of Archaeology