Subject: Exhibiting vulcanized rubber

Exhibiting vulcanized rubber

From: Silvia Manrique <silvia.manrique<-a>
Date: Thursday, July 28, 2011
We recently acquired a Chakaia Booker sculpture made out of
automotive tires which we would like to put on a permanent
exhibition.  The sculpture represents a tree with a metal trunk and
leaves (kind of palm leaves) made of cut tires with the steel wires
exposed on all edges.  The artist believes we should apply a coat of
WD-40 or Armor All on the rubber every year to prevent it from
drying and cracking.  Besides the issues with smell in the galleries
and off gassing, I have read that applying oils or solvents to
rubber might cause more damage on the long term.

We have pretty stable environmental conditions in our spaces,
usually around 50% RH and 70 deg. F, and low light levels.  Does
anyone know if the application of a protective coating is necessary
under these circumstances?  If so, what material should be used? Are
WD-40 or Armor All of any help? What other preventative measures can
we take to care for this object? Any advise will be greatly
appreciated.

Silvia N. Manrique
Collections Manager
Utah Museum of Fine Arts