Subject: Passive environmental control

Passive environmental control

From: Jerry Shiner <info<-a>
Date: Tuesday, July 26, 2011
Lynn Campbell <lynn.campbell [at] ccc__govt__nz> writes

>Can anyone suggest any passive systems that could help a heritage
>building that does not have power.  The building is close to the sea
>and has a large garden surrounding it. The displays are in glass
>cases and they are considering the use of silica gel as one method
>but would be interested in any other procedures that could help to
>protect their collections of archaeological and social history

I echo Alex Grillparzer and Victoria Gill's comments: Your best
protection is a well-sealed enclosure, and an attentive and
knowledgeable staff. With this as a foundation, you can look into
improving case sealing, passive (possibly combined with active)
humidity and pollution control, and much much more.

You may also wish to consider what are the greatest "threats" to the
collection, as this will determine the most effective approach
towards protecting your collection.  There are many effective
approaches and products you can use, but as someone who is often
asked for a "magic bullet", I can say that I haven't found one yet.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Microclimate Systems

                 Distributed: Thursday, August 4, 2011