Subject: Leather trunk

Leather trunk

From: Yvette A. Fletcher <lcc<-a>
Date: Tuesday, July 26, 2011
Susan White <smwhitewhite [at] aim__com> writes

>I am restoring an 18th century leather trunk, and although I
>understand the problems of using leather dressings ...
>...  I thought I
>might use a traditional mixture of lanolin and neat's-foot oil.

Before applying any sort of leather dressing (which can be extremely
damaging) I would recommend that you try humidifying the
leather--often it is moisture content rather than fat content which
is too low and gentle humidification may allow the leather to become
flexible enough for reshaping.

Yvette A Fletcher BA Hons, MA, ACR
Head of Conservation
The Leather Conservation Centre