Subject: Database and software for conservation records

Database and software for conservation records

From: Nancy Ash <nash<-a>
Date: Tuesday, July 26, 2011
To add to the recent DistList discussion about software for
conservation records, I'd like to share information that I already
sent to Lisa Muccigrosso in response to her query.

At the Philadelphia Museum of Art we used various Filemaker Pro and
MS Access databases in the past. Presently, we are using a more
comprehensive system that we developed in-house over the past ten
years (the Conservation Tracker System, aka Tracker), and recently
offered to share it with other institutions. While it's not an "off
the shelf" package, it does handle conservation record-keeping and
general workflow quite well. The primary organization is by
accession number (or other unique identifier). It incorporates word
processing features, generates reports that look like those
conservators typically produce during examination and treatment, and
has a wide range of search and sort functions. Tracker interfaces
with the museum management system we use--The Museum System
(TMS)--but can stand alone.  It also incorporates some work flow
functions (photography log, laboratory in/out log, etc.) and
provides access to digital images.

Most recently, the Walters Art Museum in Baltimore, Maryland has
begun to use the system and has obtained a grant to add functions
and further customize it for our mutual benefit. Feel free to call
or email me about the database. I also can email the user manual to
provide an overview. Tom Murphy, the software programmer who
developed the system with us is continuing to work on its
development and can speak with IT staff about Tracker's
infrastructure requirements.

Nancy Ash
Senior Conservator of Works of Art on Paper
Philadelphia Museum of Art
PO Box 7646
Philadelphia PA 19101

                 Distributed: Thursday, August 4, 2011