Subject: Database and software for conservation records

Database and software for conservation records

From: Andrew Thorn <artcare<-a>
Date: Monday, August 1, 2011
Lisa Muccigrosso <lisa.muccigrosso [at] wisconsinhistory__org>
writes

>Essentially we need bibliographic information, condition, location,
>narrative description, exhibit history, and before/after images for
>the items we're working with. Past treatments would be entered into
>the database from paper records.
>
>I am curious what people might recommend for this kind of project.
>Does anyone use a full museum management system like PastPerfect
>solely for conservation treatment records? Would something like
>Filemaker Pro be more suited to this kind of project?

One of the more important considerations when contemplating a
database is the question not of how it will be used, but where. To
answer this I start at the object where the report is most likely to
be needed. This implies that the database must be mobile. To get a
database to the object may be achieved with a notebook computer but
often even this has can be too cumbersome.

In setting up databases for clients I steer them towards off the
shelf products such as MS Access (no endorsement intended) simply
because almost every commissioning client has in house support and
training for commercial software. More importantly there are
numerous database apps for smart phones and similar hand held
devices. These small programs are very close to seamlessly
integrated with the above mentioned product. Carrying treatment
records in your pocket is a very compact yet powerful tool to have.

The next point to emphasize is that the database should be seen as a
console, a visual window through which all digital records can be
viewed. By providing hyperlinks to reports, images and all other
files, the database becomes the access tool (did MS get that) to
find all digital data relating to and object. The only downside to
hand held databases is that currently they rarely support embedded
photos. This is a drawback if you wish to compile an illustrated
report direct from the software. However for overall management the
hyperlinks to folders filled with images is a very powerful
illustrative aspect.

Andrew Thorn
FIIC
ARTCARE