Subject: Leather trunk

Leather trunk

From: Susan White <smwhitewhite<-a>
Date: Monday, July 25, 2011
I am restoring an 18th century leather trunk, and although I
understand the problems of using leather dressings for conservation,
the lid of the trunk is badly deformed and too stiff to reform
without the use of some type of softening dressing.  I thought I
might use a traditional mixture of lanolin and neat's-foot oil. Any
recommendations would be helpful. I've read all of the controversial
literature on leather dressings, but I do need to soften the leather
somehow and would like to choose the best material for the job.

Susan White
White Conservation Services

                   Distributed: Monday, July 25, 2011