Subject: Database and software for conservation records

Database and software for conservation records

From: Christine McCarthy <christine.mccarthy<-a>
Date: Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Lisa Muccigrosso <lisa.muccigrosso [at] wisconsinhistory__org>
writes

>I work for an institution that would like to build a conservation
>treatment database. These records would be mainly for the use and
>reference of our conservation department. ...

My lab chose three years ago to invest in an in-house basic database
(Access) we designed ourselves. But for the long-term, we are now
participating in the Mellon-funded ConservationSpace initiative. The
project--to design an open source software application for creating,
managing, and preserving conservation documentation records--is
concluding its planning phase.  Although a fully functional
application for general use is perhaps a bit of a ways off, it might
be something to consider.

For more information about ConservationSpace:

    <URL:http://conservationspace.org/Home.html>

Christine McCarthy
Chief Conservator
Preservation Department