Subject: Database and software for conservation records

Database and software for conservation records

From: Mark Giles MacKenzie <mark.mackenzie<-a>
Date: Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Lisa Muccigrosso <lisa.muccigrosso [at] wisconsinhistory__org>
writes

>Essentially we need bibliographic information, condition, location,
>narrative description, exhibit history, and before/after images for
>the items we're working with. Past treatments would be entered into
>the database from paper records.
>
>I am curious what people might recommend for this kind of project.
>Does anyone use a full museum management system like PastPerfect
>solely for conservation treatment records? Would something like
>Filemaker Pro be more suited to this kind of project?

Based upon years of our own laboratory experience I would encourage
you to not buy into a museum or gallery database but to use a
conservation DB.  We created one in Filemaker Pro (starting with
Filemaker 6 I believe) and have continued it through today where we
have stopped further development in Filemaker.

We have a reasonably sophisticated DB doing I think everything you
are looking for including templates for survey work etc.  *But*,
depending upon your laboratory set up, number of conservators and
technicians making entries, centralized server, individual lap tops,
graphics and other workstations, etc. you may find that Filemaker
can be expensive to maintain with meager laboratory operating
budgets.  Each person working with a computer doing conservation
data entry needs a license.  It is not unusual to have an office
installation and then lap tops for laboratory and site visit use.
Each would need a license.  Then if you are running or wish to run a
server based Filemaker DB which has many benefits in streamlining
data entry, management and true archival back ups the server
software is quite expensive.

I have been a FileMaker developer for more than ten years and think
for many conservators it is, and should be, the DB application of
choice.  But if you need more sophistication, more and much less
expensive deployment options, server ability and web sharing ability
and you are afflicted with tight budgets it may not be your best
answer.

We have chosen to move to a new custom written DB which will run on
Macs, Microsoft OS's and Linux.  It is incorporating all our current
features and adding more such as the ability "mark up" images
directly within the DB to show areas of interest and more.  Also,
and for me a major need is for any conservation record to be in an
open file format not a proprietary one.  If you wish to be able to
access your information, years from now this may be the only
reliable way.

I have thought of releasing this DB to the conservation community at
large when completed either free or for nominal sum (which may be
required by our "anti-donation" laws, nothing else).

If you wish to discuss any aspect of our experience building and
using the FileMaker Pro DB (done before I joined the lab by the way,
it really was a communal development) feel free to contact me and we
can continue this off the list.

Mark MacKenzie
Chief Conservator
Museum Resources Div. - Conservation