Subject: Passive environmental control

Passive environmental control

From: Will Murray <info<-a>
Date: Monday, July 25, 2011
Lynn Campbell <lynn.campbell [at] ccc__govt__nz> writes

>Can anyone suggest any passive systems that could help a heritage
>building that does not have power.  The building is close to the sea
>and has a large garden surrounding it. The displays are in glass
>cases and they are considering the use of silica gel as one method
>but would be interested in any other procedures that could help to
>protect their collections of archaeological and social history

May I suggest that the museum investigates the use of the Nouvir
Airsafe which is attached to each case and provides pollution
filtering via a set of filters, and RH control via a silica gel
cylinder. Moisture (or dry silica gel) can be added to the system
via the resealable pressure compensation bag until the desired RH
level is achieved. As with all environmental control systems the
approach requires supervision and maintenance but the Airsafe does
not require any power. It does require a well-sealed case as the
case atmosphere is pumped through the unit by changes in external
atmospheric pressure. The Airsafe sits outside the case and thus the
display design must make available a space above, below or behind
the case where the unit can be hidden. Further details are available
from the Nouvir website:

    <URL:http://www.nouvir.com/index.cfm?ref=12170>

Will Murray
Artefacts and Preventive Conservator