Subject: Internship or position at Fine Arts Conservancy

Internship or position at Fine Arts Conservancy

From: Gordon Lewis <glewis<-a>
Date: Thursday, July 14, 2011
Internship in paintings conservation
or Conservator (entry level)
Fine Arts Conservancy

The Fine Art Conservancy in West Palm Beach, Florida is offering a
unique opportunity to build on your education efforts through our
internship program for students within our Conservation Department.
The candidate will be primarily responsible for project-based
treatments of paintings from the 15th through the 21st century
and/or artifacts, from antiquities to contemporary, of wide-ranging
types and materials for private, public, and institutional
collections.

The conservator will work with considerable independence, but with
input and supervision from Tara Fraser, Director of Conservation;
complex treatment steps would be done cooperatively and need not be
self-directed. This position is primarily bench-work, with some
administrative and registration duties. There will be some offsite
work, particularly in disaster recovery. This conservator will be
part of the lab team and will assist with simple treatment steps
involving multiple media, as suits their experience and with
guidance. The successful candidate needs a personality which works
well under deadlines, and one who must be flexible in their work
plan. We are results oriented and focused by projects.  Experience
in various examination aids is useful.

The position initially is for one year, with the possibility of
extension and the compensation would be dependent upon experience,
and in line with compensation in the field.  Candidates must be
fluent in English and demonstrate positive communication skills.
Knowledge of Spanish and/or French is helpful. Applicants should be
seeking pre-program experience or be recently graduated from a
recognized conservation program with a career interest in painting
conservation. A knowledge of objects is useful.

With 5000-plus square feet of modern, well-equipped laboratories, FAC is
a highly regarded facility. Primarily known for work on important
pieces, we are noted for commitment to excellence. We provide
conservation services to collectors, museums, historical societies
and insurers throughout the southeast with some national and
international clientele.  There are separate labs for painting
conservation, paper conservation, framing, objects and an
examination lab.

FAC is located in Palm Beaches of Florida, one of the most beautiful
areas in America. We have a 5000+ square foot, highly modern
facility, with floor to ceiling UV shielded windows on two sides,
well equipped for conservation.  There are no state or local income
taxes, and the cost of living is less expensive than much of the
country.  Our clientele, while mostly local from Miami to Vero
Beach, extends across the country, with occasional international
projects.

    <URL:http://www.art-conservation.org>

will acquaint you with some of our work and labs.

Call 561-684-6133, for more information. Candidates are requested to
submit, by email, a cover letter, curriculum vitae, two letters of
academic recommendation, and detailed descriptions of major projects
undertaken to:

    The Fine Arts Conservancy, LLC
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    tara<-a t->art-conservation< . >org