Subject: Japanese oil painting on canvas

Japanese oil painting on canvas

From: Irene Dominguez Jimenez <irene<-a>
Date: Sunday, July 17, 2011
Currently I am working on my dissertation which focuses on the
investigation of an early oil painting on canvas by the Japanese
artist Toshihiro Hamano, with the condition report and the treatment
proposal being important parts of the dissertation.

The painting titled "Nude" influenced by the Blue period of Pablo
Picasso dates from 1959. Since the Japanese paintings are not widely
known or treated I would be very grateful if any conservator that
has had experience on Japanese oil paintings from that period or
close, could provide me information about the difficulties you are
faced with, e.g. deterioration of pigments or canvas, treatments
required etc. Any contact of a specialized conservator whom I could
ask or information related to conservation studies of this matter
will be very welcome as well.

Irene Dominguez Jimenez
MA Conservation of Fine Art (Paintings)
Northumbria University