Subject: Database and software for conservation records

Database and software for conservation records

From: Lisa Muccigrosso <lisa.muccigrosso<-a>
Date: Thursday, July 7, 2011
I work for an institution that would like to build a conservation
treatment database. These records would be mainly for the use and
reference of our conservation department. While our archives and
library holdings are cataloged in an OPAC, the conservation
treatment records would be separate from those records and not
available to the public.

Essentially we need bibliographic information, condition, location,
narrative description, exhibit history, and before/after images for
the items we're working with. Past treatments would be entered into
the database from paper records.

I am curious what people might recommend for this kind of project.
Does anyone use a full museum management system like PastPerfect
solely for conservation treatment records? Would something like
Filemaker Pro be more suited to this kind of project?

Lisa Muccigrosso
Conservation Assistant
Wisconsin Historical Society Room 457
816 State St.