Subject: Alternative materials for limp vellum binding

Alternative materials for limp vellum binding

From: Harry H. Campbell <campbell.12<-a>
Date: Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Nicola Kiddle <nicola_kiddle [at] yahoo__co__uk>  writes

>I am currently a student on the MA Conservation course at Camberwell
>College of Arts, University of the Arts, London.  As part of my
>research, I am investigating the viability of alternative materials
>to conserve limp vellum bindings.  I would be very interested to
>hear from anyone with experience of using either Tyvek or alum tawed
>goldbeaters' skin, particularly to support the spine of the book or
>as infill materials.  What advantages or disadvantages have been
>observed as opposed to traditional matching vellum repairs?  Also,
>which adhesives have been found to be most successful in conjunction
>with these materials?

Okawara, which is a heavy, cream-colored Japanese paper, works well
as a repair/fill material for vellum.  If there are split joints or
other openings in the spine area, and the lining paper inside the
vellum is loose, torn, or partially missing, and is accessible, it
is best to mend this first and re-adhere the vellum to the lining
using paste, and then wrapping or pressing.  Then the Okawara can be
used on the outside to reinforce the torn areas, and to fill areas
where the vellum is missing.  Also, it can be molded around the
holes where the lacing comes through the cover, as well as used to
reinforce the lacing.

The Okawara is put on with paste, and can be easily toned (if
needed) with water colors.  It can then be finished with a mix of
Klucel-G and SC6000 acrylic wax.  The more wax in the mix, the more
you will be able to match the gloss of the vellum.  Both the
hand-made or machine-made Okawara are very durable and work well,
but the machine-made has a more desirable homogenous fiber
distribution.  Both have a smooth side and a rough side.  The smooth
side should be on the outside for this repair.

Before starting the treatment it is advisable to humidify the vellum
binding, and then lightly dampen specific localized areas to be
repaired.

I have often used this material in similar treatments for alum-tawed
bindings, as well.

Harry Campbell
Conservator
The Ohio State University Libraries