Subject: Softening gut

Softening gut

From: Helena Jaeschke <helena.jaeschke<-a>
Date: Tuesday, June 28, 2011
James Moss <clkmkr [at] tiac__net> writes

>I have a tall clock with gut lines used to support the weights. The
>approximately 1mm gut lines are old and hard. The client has
>requested that the original lines be re-installed into the clock. To
>do this, I must be able to tie an over-hand knot in one end of each
>line thus the lines will need to be softened ...

Would it be possible to use crimps to make butt joins in the ends of
the gut?  This method of joining and fastening fine lines and cables
is increasingly being used in electrical, fishing, display and
jewellery practices. Although you'd need to test different crimps to
find the most appropriate size and strength of join, it should be
possible to create a join that is at least as reliable as an
overhand knot in old gut.

For an overview of electrical cable crimping see

  <URL:http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Cable_crimping>

Fine crimps are available from jewellery suppliers such as

  <URL:http://www.the-beadshop.co.uk/
    index.php/jewellery-findings/crimp-beads/tube-crimps.html>

Hope this helps,

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URLs have been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newlines.

Helena Jaeschke