Subject: Microclimate frames

Microclimate frames

From: Michal Obarzanowski <obany<-a>
Date: Tuesday, June 28, 2011
David Frank Bugeja <david-frank.bugeja [at] gov__mt> writes

>There is considerable literature on microclimate frames, where the
>majority of the studies are carried out by conservation scientists
>and are mainly focused on theoretical aspects. Unfortunately,
>however, there is little information on how microclimate frames are
>actually made and which materials are being used. I am particularly
>finding it very difficult to obtain a list of sealing materials that
>are currently considered for microclimate frames.

The PROPAINT project, "Improved protection of paintings during
exhibition, storage and transit", EU 6th Framework Programme no.
044254 dealt with the problem of MC-frames for paintings. Its final
report is available at

    <URL:http://propaint.nilu.no>

A number of different MC-frame designs by various institutions are
presented there.

I am involved in the design and manufacture of MC-frames at our
Museum; these differ from object to object although the main idea of
this type of enclosure remains the same.

For more detailed information about our work please contact me.

Michal Obarzanowski
National Museum in Krakow
al. 3 Maja 1
30-062 Krakow