Subject: Alternative materials for limp vellum binding

Alternative materials for limp vellum binding

From: Nicola Kiddle <nicola_kiddle<-a>
Date: Tuesday, June 21, 2011
I am currently a student on the MA Conservation course at Camberwell
College of Arts, University of the Arts, London.  As part of my
research, I am investigating the viability of alternative materials
to conserve limp vellum bindings.  I would be very interested to
hear from anyone with experience of using either Tyvek or alum tawed
goldbeaters' skin, particularly to support the spine of the book or
as infill materials.  What advantages or disadvantages have been
observed as opposed to traditional matching vellum repairs?  Also,
which adhesives have been found to be most successful in conjunction
with these materials?

Nicola Kiddle
MA Conservation student
Camberwell College of Arts