Subject: Softening gut

Softening gut

From: James Moss <clkmkr<-a>
Date: Friday, June 24, 2011
I have a tall clock with gut lines used to support the weights. The
approximately 1mm gut lines are old and hard. The client has
requested that the original lines be re-installed into the clock. To
do this, I must be able to tie an over-hand knot in one end of each
line thus the lines will need to be softened for a distance of about
3 inches from an end.

Common searches have suggested neatsfoot oil or other concoctions
but they are prone to oxidize and discolor the lines as well as
attract dust and possibly render the line brittle or weak. Another
possible solution suggested involves the use of silicon oil but the
suggestor had reservations regarding the ability of bending at such
a sharp radius as required by the knot. They were also concerned
with brittleness as am I.

Because of the possibility of line breakage or the inability of
tying a proper knot or the inability of being able to support a 16
pound weight, I have approached the client with the idea of using
modern braided synthetic cable and keeping the gut lines as an
historical artifact of the clock but they still insist that the
original lines be re-installed. They also insist that the clock will
be non-functional but I would suggest that if the gear trains are
not rendered mechanically non-functional, then functionality would
return instantly if someone set the pendulum going.

Any assistance or advice would be gratefully received.

Jim Moss
Horological Conservator
AIC PA (Semi-Retired)
Boxborough, MA