Subject: Magnets and wood

Magnets and wood

From: Oscar Gaona <oscar.gaona<-a>
Date: Thursday, May 5, 2011
We are facing a conservation problem with some contemporary
watercolors painted on thin wooden boards (+/- 5mm).  Each table is
part of a set of tables that form a sort of puzzle.  Each table has
a set of four magnets pasted on the back side. The original assembly
is a metal structure in which the magnets are attached.

The conservation problem is that the magnets were pasted with a
resin (probably acrylic or epoxy) and a few months ago a a stain
appeared on the front of the painting, as the resin penetrated into
the wood. Now, we are considering ways to get the magnets off and
try to eliminate the resin.

Is there another type of structure for mounting which would not use
magnets? Any ideas about how to keep the original magnets without
using resins?

Oscar Gaona
Director Museodata

                  Distributed: Thursday, May 12, 2011