Subject: Chemical exchange and new AIC forum

Chemical exchange and new AIC forum

From: Rachael Perkins Arenstein <rachael<-a>
Date: Thursday, April 21, 2011
The email thread about chemical exchanges last posted by Susan White
is another example of how conservators (at least those participating
on several of the AIC email lists) have been seeking ways to
communicate across specialty group boundaries to discuss areas of
common interest.  AIC staff, board members and editors have been
investigating different platforms over the past few months to
determine what might meet our requirements for a flexible
communication forum.  After considering many options, the one that
appears to best meet the needs requested by members in previous
threads is a "Group" page on LinkedIn.

I must admit that I had a LinkedIn profile for a long time before I
figured out what to "do" there.  It turns out that a number of other
preservation and museum professional organizations are utilizing
LinkedIn group pages to excellent effect and there are threads on
many of these groups with substantive professional content.  It is
our hope that an AIC LinkedIn Group will allow conservators to
communicate with colleagues across the spectrum of our specialty
groups on issues that affect many of us--whether it is acquisition
or disposition of materials, discussions on digital documentation,
or challenges that affect us as a profession and as a professional
organization.  It will be for us to make use of it to meet our
professional needs.

We plan to be launching an AIC group page on LinkedIn in the summer
of 2011 after the annual meeting.   All members and staff of AIC
will be invited to join.  The group will be "closed" so the content
will not be available to non-members.  We'd like to encourage anyone
who doesn't currently have a profile to take some time to set one up
and familiarize yourself with the site.  If you have questions about
how we arrived at this decision or plans for the group page, please
feel free to contact me off-list.

We look forward to connecting with you online soon.

Rachael Perkins Arenstein
AIC e-Editor
A.M. Art Conservation, LLC
Art Conservation, Preservation and Collection Management

                 Distributed: Wednesday, April 27, 2011