Subject: Historic antifreeze

Historic antifreeze

From: Monika Jankowiak <moni.zuza<-a>
Date: Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Jane Hamill <j.hamill [at] scott__aq> writes

>I am working on a container of unidentified liquid, with a label 'a
>little of this amongst the water helps to prevent freezing', from
>Shackleton's hut at Cape Royds (1907-1909 expedition) in Antarctica.
>I have been unable to find any solid information by Internet search
>on historic antifreeze. I think it is ethylene glycol, but have no
>way to check. I'd like to be able to positively identify the
>contents and was wondering if anyone has information on what was
>used as antifreeze at this time and if it is possible to identify it
>without access to sophisticated testing equipment or materials?

A little internet search, leads me to the following info:

Ethylene glycol wasn't used until 1926 as an antifreeze (its primary
use in the early 1900s was for the production of explosives).

  <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze#Ethylene_glycol>

Methanol was used as an automobile coolant antifreeze in the early
1900s.

  <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol#Other_applications>

Glycerol mixed with water is also an excellent antifreeze
(discovered in 1779).

  <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol#Anti-freeze>

Tests:

Methanol burns easily and has a colorless flame
  <URL:http://www.cetinerengineering.com/Properties.htm>

Ethylene glycol doesn't burn easily at all.  Its flash point is 232
deg F (111 deg C).

    <URL:http://www.kayelaby.npl.co.uk/chemistry/3_11/3_11_5.html>

Glycerol is a syrupy, sweet, colorless or yellowish liquid and has
no smell. Methanol would not be viscous so would be easily
distinguishable.

Monika Z. Jankowiak

                 Distributed: Wednesday, April 27, 2011