Subject: Gelatin object

Gelatin object

From: Annae Annenkoff <antiti<-a>
Date: Monday, April 11, 2011
I am presently working towards my thesis on the "Folioscope
Mecanique", an object from the pre cinema era dating back to 1896.
It is made out of paper, wood, metals and gelatin (identified
analysis FTIR). There are two curved, transparent windows made out
of gelatin: one colorless, one yellow, both 0,7 mm thick. Analysis
results show it could be mercury tanned gelatin (identified by XFR).

With the exception of photographic material, very few objects
are/were made with this kind of gelatin, like for example:

    sequin (often non-tanned)
    lithographic supports ("papier glace")
    few rare Emile Reynaud "films"

Does anyone else know of other tanned gelatin made objects?

Several damages can be found on the Folioscope: retraction, warping,
filth, crazing and crackling effects.

I am looking for efficient product and a good methods to:

    Clean the gelatin (dry or wet): Groom/Stick, silicone, alcohol,
    alcohol/water, detergent, etc.

    Consolidate crazing and crackling effects: gelatin, Acryloid 72,
    Butvar resin, isinglass?

Annae Annenkoff
Conservation student,
Institut National du Patrimoine,