Subject: Consolidating friable brick

Consolidating friable brick

From: Brittany Bishop <blbishop37<-a>
Date: Monday, April 11, 2011
I am a conservation student doing a placement at the Wiltshire and
Swindon History Centre conservation lab.  I am currently doing a
brick consolidation project and I was wondering if I could get some
opinions on the consolidants that I am thinking about experimenting
with to find one appropriate for the very friable, porous Roman
brick that I am conserving.

One more note is that the brick will be going into a high humidity
environment for display.  I am thinking about doing tests with
Methyl-methacrylate, H100 Conservation treatment, Desmodur N 3390
BA, and possibly Protectosil Chem-trete 40D.  I was wondering if
anyone has any experience with or have heard of these being used to
consolidate brick/stone and if anyone has any other advice on
possible options.

Brittany Bishop

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 19, 2011