Subject: Glass for housing papyrus

Glass for housing papyrus

From: Stuart Welch <stuart.welch<-a>
Date: Saturday, April 9, 2011
Alexandra Greathead <alexandra.greathead [at] ashmus__ox__ac__uk>
writes

>I have used Borosilicate glass quite successfully for the rehousing
>of a fragment of papyrus, but wondered if anyone has done any tests
>comparing this glass with float glass, I am particularly interested
>to know how they compare when broken, 'bashed' or dropped?

On the subject of housing papyrus it may me of interest to readers
that in partnership with a team of conservators, Conservation By
Design has designed the "Enigma" framing system for a large papyrus
storage and display project in Cairo. The frame design is made
possible by the special characteristics of the Tru-Vue, Optium
Museum Acrylic. The Optium Museum Acrylic gives anti-static
protection which exceeds glass and dissipates up to 2000 times more
static than regular acrylic. In addition it has an anti-reflective
coating, 99% UV protection and is 20 times more abrasion resistant
than normal acrylic. It is also 50% lighter than glass. If we use
glass for the Cairo project it would add 30 tonnes to the weight of
our frames and exceed the available floor loading.

The frame contains a pollution scavenger and the papyrus is mounted
between two sheets of heavy cotton paper which acts as a humidity
buffer.

Stuart M. Welch
Development Director
Conservation by Design Limited