Subject: Casein for pre-consolidating wall paintings

Casein for pre-consolidating wall paintings

From: Marcin Kozarzewski Monument Service <m_kozarzewski<-a>
Date: Sunday, April 3, 2011
I would appreciate any exchange of information regarding the use of
ammonium casein for preconsolidation (prefixing) flaking and
powdering exterior wall paintings (facades, walls of open cloisters,
etc.) to make possible the cleaning and final consolidation using an
ethyl silicate consolidant.  We have had good experience with this
kind of treatment.  I am looking for similar examples of treatment.
I am focusing on the behavior of secco paint layer (and plasters as
well) after using such a method. I focus also on microbiological
impact.

Marcin Kozarzewski
Monument Service

                 Distributed: Wednesday, April 13, 2011