Subject: Ethical checklists

Ethical checklists

From: Joanna Kay <jomkay<-a>
Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2011
I am currently doing some research into how ethical decision-making
is carried out by conservators when approaching a practical project
and in particular the conservation of medieval manuscripts or
treasured items within a collection.  In particular, I am interested
in the use of ethics checklists or lists of questions or prompts
that are used to aid decision-making.  As such I would love to hear
about any experiences or feelings that conservators have with
regards to their use and would really appreciate if anyone could
spare the time to answer the following questions:

    Do conservators have a specific checklist or list of prompting
    questions that they use for treatment decision making when
    approaching the conservation of Medieval manuscripts, or any
    book that is considered a treasured item in a collection?

    If so do you use a standard published ethical checklist or one
    that you have devised yourself?

    If you don't use a standard checklist, are there certain
    questions that you always ask as a prompt in this situation?

    If you do use a published checklist, do they feel that it meets
    their needs when conserving a medieval manuscript or treasured
    item in a collection?

    Do you incorporate any ethical questions in report or bid
    paperwork filed in preparation for starting such a project?

    Are there any specific questions that you feel need to be asked
    when treating a medieval manuscript or treasured item?

    Do you feel that conservation training, experience and
    'common-sense' can be supported by the use of checklists or that
    such decision making should be instinctive?

Joanna Kay
MA in Conservation Studies - West Dean College

                 Distributed: Wednesday, April 13, 2011