Subject: Jade R

Jade R

From: Kate W. Moomaw <moomawkw<-a>
Date: Friday, April 1, 2011
Christine Smith <consartpap [at] earthlink__net> writes

>Can anyone point me to information about Jade R adhesive, which is
>advertised as a water-reversible version of Jade 403 PVA? The only
>explanation which a vendor could provide for what makes Jade R
>reversible was its *formulation*, and I was told that the adhesive
>does not contain any additive(s) to make it reversible.  There was
>no information about the time period for which reversibility can be
>expected.   The vendor did not know of any studies about Jade R, and
>I found nothing via an Internet search.

I have a sample of Jade R that I painted out slightly over a year
ago and have kept in our conservation lab with some light exposure
but no UV component.  It remains quite sensitive to distilled water,
and I plan to keep it and continue to monitor it.  A colleague of
mine contacted Aabbitt Adhesives, the manufacturer of the Jade
adhesives, and was told that Jade R is: essentially modified
polyethylene, copolymerized with vinyl acetate, with some part of
the chain being vulnerable to surfactants or soaps in water,
designed for washable films on non-porous surfaces.

Kate Moomaw
Postgraduate Fellow in Conservation
Smithsonian Institution
Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden