Subject: Retaining pressure sensitive tape

Retaining pressure sensitive tape

From: Susie Cobbledick <scobbledick<-a>
Date: Tuesday, March 29, 2011
I am conserving and rebinding a Golden Book (The Tall Book of
Christmas) with a substantial amount of cellophane tape on the
gutter edges of the front and back covers (the spine is missing).
Using a corner of the back cover as a testing site, I removed a
small piece of tape, applied acetone to remove the gum and found
that the least amount of pressure with a cotton swab or scalpel
removed substantial amounts of pigment as well as gum.

I am inclined to leave the rest of the tape in place. Has anyone on
this list successfully removed tape from a Golden Book or any book
with a comparable pictorial cover? If so, what was your process?

Susie Cobbledick
Independent binder/conservator
1614 Victoria Avenue
Lakewood, OH 44107