Subject: Book and Paper Conservation Studio, University of Dundee closes

Book and Paper Conservation Studio, University of Dundee closes

From: Philippa Sterlini <p.l.sterlini<-a>
Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Closure of Book and Paper Conservation Studio, University of Dundee,
    Scotland

It is with deep regret that we must inform the conservation
community of the imminent closure of the Studio. Some of you may
know that we went through a consultation process and threat of
closure last year, but came through the other side feeling positive
about the Studio's future. However, the harsh realities of the
market and the national economic downturn have resulted in the
current operation being deemed no longer viable or sustainable. The
Studio will close for external work on 1 June, 2011 and will cease
operations by 31 July 2011.

Our staff members and interns over the years have been as diverse as
the objects we have worked on, hailing from the four corners of the
world. They have brought with them huge amounts of experience,
skills and talents, and enriched our lives both professionally and
personally; for this we acknowledge and thank them.

Of the current Staff, four will leave for pastures new and two will
be redeployed within the Library and Learning Centre to meet growing
demands for the management of University research outputs, and the
support of eLearning and digital assets. A small studio will also be
retained in order for in-house conservation of the University's
collections to be undertaken by the two remaining staff.

We would like to sincerely thank all our friends, colleagues and
fellow professionals for their support, interest and advice over the
years: fare thee well!

Philippa Sterlini
Senior Conservator

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 5, 2011