Subject: Parchment stationery bindings

Parchment stationery bindings

From: Francesca Lemass <francesca.lemass<-a>
Date: Saturday, March 19, 2011
I am an MA book conservation student and will be conserving a group
of English stationery bindings from the late 18th and early 19th
centuries:

Laced case parchment binding with boards; Laced case parchment
binding with boards, secondary tackets, overbands and a secondary
covering of Russia calf; Springback binding in full parchment with
laced overbands; Single section binding with a semi-limp parchment
case attached by secondary tackets.

I would appreciate information from any conservators who have
experience working on these types of bindings.  I am specifically
interested in the following problems: split joints, broken spine
linings, and parchment that has become stiff and brittle.

What treatments have you found to be most effective?
What treatments have not been successful?
What repair materials/adhesives do you prefer to use and why?

Francesca Lemass
Book Conservator
MA Conservation Student

                  Distributed: Monday, March 28, 2011