Subject: 18th century book

18th century book

From: Wendy Ossoinig <wendy<-a>
Date: Wednesday, March 16, 2011
I received a rare 1785 paperback book in need of conservation. Below
is one option I am considering. If possible I would like to retain
as much of it's original identity as possible. I would greatly
appreciate thoughts/suggestions regarding other viable options.

Paperback rebinding: converting the paperback from its original
softcover state into hardbound book retaining much of the format of
the original paperback. The final product is a double fan adhesive,
cloth reinforced, hollow-backed binding trimmed flush on three
sides. New endsheets are added and the original cover (or as much of
it as possible) is replaced on the outside. The new binding is
superior in strength, durability and (frequently) openability to the
original binding. The process is also adaptable to paperback books
whose margins cannot or should not be trimmed.

Wendy Ossoinig
Conservator
Octavaye

                  Distributed: Monday, March 28, 2011