Subject: Dollhouse

Dollhouse

From: Magali Bonnet <maggiebone1<-a>
Date: Sunday, March 20, 2011
I am a conservation student currently conserving a dollhouse house
from the Musee des Arts decoratifs de Paris. It is in wood
decorating with papers. The papers stuck inside the different rooms
(walls, floors, ceilings) are really damaged considering the
previous conditions in which it was preserved.  The papers are now
very sensitive to humidity. So, I tried to find a system without any
water in order to fix them on the different surfaces. It works quite
well.

I use a thermoplastic adhesive (Lascaux Medium for consolidation)
between two sheets of Japon paper. I am now making some aging tests
on the system (Japon paper and adhesive). If it doesn't work after
that, i will need an other solution. I tried with Beva 371 but it is
absolutely not good. I also tried Lascaux 498 HV but it is also less
efficient. I would like to know if someone had already use a system
like that, without water, in order to fix paper on wood.

Magali Bonnet
Conservator, Wood artefacts
Institut national du Patrimoine
Saint- Denis, La Plaine