Subject: Chemicals in small quantities

Chemicals in small quantities

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo<-a>
Date: Monday, March 21, 2011
Susan White <smwhitewhite [at] aim__com> writes

Yes, this is a real problem.  We used to have a company in Oakland
called "No waste" that recycled lab equipment (I found my fume hood
there for a song) and chemicals of all kinds.  Half used containers
of everything you could think of and unopened containers of also,
everything.  Unfortunately Oakland made it impossible for them to
operate as the then mayor wanted the area to be upgraded as yuppie
condos. Rumors were spread that they released chemicals into the
air, etc.  There was never any factual evidence but people got
scared and....

They then went out of business.  Now all this same "waste" is
disposed of, what a waste!

Niccolo Caldararo
Dept. of Anthropology
San Francisco State University