Subject: Chemicals in small quantities

Chemicals in small quantities

From: Nicholas Rayner <n.rayner<-a>
Date: Thursday, March 17, 2011
Susan White <smwhitewhite [at] aim__com> writes

>As a private conservator I frequently find myself in need of small
>quantities of chemicals ...
>Any thoughts from the community about this problem?  Wondering if we
>could set up some kind of online "craigslist" exchange program or a
>central storehouse where conservators could send unused chemicals as
>donations to other conservators.  I don't know how this could be
>done, and done safely and in accordance with federal laws regarding
>the shipping of chemicals, but if such a program could be set up,
>even informally, it could save the community quite a bit of money.

There is a program/system called Dropbox. This is a program you can
install on multiple PCs, Macs whatever, and access the same files
from all of them. It is also possible to log into the account in any
web browser. We could start an account for this type of thing,
circulate the password on the list. If it was set up with different
folders for different things, and we worked out a fairly standard
format for the listings, it could work. You get up to 2 GB of
storage free, and would not have to install any software to access
it through your web browser. Everyone would have to update or remove
their postings as the items went.

Nic Rayner
Conservator
Greater Manchester County Record Office (with Manchester Archives)
56 Marshall Street
New Cross
Manchester M4 5FU
+44 161 819 4703