Subject: Chemicals in small quantities

Chemicals in small quantities

From: Tom James Braun <tom.braun<-a>
Date: Monday, March 21, 2011
Susan White <smwhitewhite [at] aim__com> writes

>As a private conservator I frequently find myself in need of small
>quantities of chemicals ...

A Craig's list for conservators, what a great idea!  Like many great
ideas however, someone has already had this idea, sort of.  I have
recently used just such a service, though it is not limited to
conservators. The University of Minnesota sponsors a "materials
exchange", intended to prevent "chemicals one simply does not use
anymore (but have potential uses for others)" from becoming
"hazardous waste".  I have listed some of our old chemicals here,
and have had shippers provide the proper MSDS documentation and
shipping manifests.  It works great!  I do not believe it is limited
to Minnesotans.  Here is the link:

    <URL:http://mnexchange.org/index.htm>

For more MHS Conservation information and articles, see
<URL:http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/conservation/>

Tom Braun - Objects Conservator
Daniels Objects Conservation Laboratory
Minnesota Historical Society