Subject: Library and archive material contaminated by radiation

Library and archive material contaminated by radiation

From: George Bailey <george.bailey<-a>
Date: Friday, March 25, 2011
Toru Kibe <torukibe [at] gmail__com> writes

>I am a Japanese book conservator. As you know, the northeast area of
>Japan was struck by the huge tsunami and nuclear accident. So many
>library and archive materials are lost and damaged. We are now
>looking for an approach to the preservation and conservation of
>these materials, especially radiation contaminated material.

>Toru Kibe
>Book conservator

Most of the library and archive material that has become
contaminated with radiation will have done so by being covered with
fallout (radioactive dust) that has settled upon the material. It is
highly unlikely that the material itself has become radioactive. The
fallout can be removed with appropriate safety systems set in place.

Not knowing what the rules and regulations in Japan are for handling
of radioactive material are, I can only give general advice. It may
well be that only certified companies or persons may be authorised
to decontaminate such material.

If you are handling radiation contaminated material, you should be
wearing appropriate protective clothing, e.g. nitrile gloves, dust
mask or filtered respirator, protective clothing, and a dosimeter to
record your exposure. You should limit your exposure by keeping the
material as far away from your body as possible, keeping the time
spent with the material to a minimum, and have shielding between you
and the contaminated material. All archive/ library material
contaminated with radioactive fallout should be sealed in
polyethylene bags and suitably labelled (i.e. with the
internationally recognised Radiation Trefoil device), and should be
stored in an approved location until a plan of action is developed
and approved. Freezing water damaged contaminated items will have no
effect on the radiation activity.

Good luck, and remember to consider your own longevity before any
archive or library material.

George Bailey
Senior Objects Conservator
Australian War Memorial