Subject: Preserving pressure sensitive tape

Preserving pressure sensitive tape

From: Mary Bustin <mabustin<-a>
Date: Wednesday, March 9, 2011
I have a small painting in the studio at the moment that was
'varnished' by the artist with strips of Sellotape. It dates from
1954. As you can imagine the tape is peeling off: the adhesive has
turned brown and failed and the carrier is slightly yellow and
brittle. The Sellotape plays an important role in the concept of the
artwork. Ideally the aim is to remove the adhesive but keep the
carrier and re-attach it. But, what information is available on how
to preserve pressure sensitive tapes? So far my literature searches
throw up articles on how to remove it and the stains that it causes
but not how to restore Sellotape. Suggestions on articles to consult
or advice would be very welcome.

Mary Bustin
Paintings Conservator
Mary Bustin Conservation