Subject: Cold and cool storage systems for photographs

Cold and cool storage systems for photographs

From: Theresa Fairbanks-Harris <theresa.fairbanks-harris<-a>
Date: Wednesday, March 16, 2011
This is a time sensitive request for advise on cool and cold storage
systems for photographs.  I am interested in what is practical in
terms of temperature and relative humidity.  Cool is ok if it is
less prone to mechanical failure.

It would be good also to know practical matters regarding warming up
of cool and cold materials. I am happy to call to discuss the pros
and cons if that is easier for those who are willing to respond. The
construction of these units will probably be recycling old walk in
freezers from a pharmaceutical company. The HVACs will be
retrofitted therefore this isn't going to be a newly build, but
retrofitted units.

Theresa Fairbanks Harris
Chief Conservator, Works on Paper
Yale Center for British Art