Subject: Chemicals in small quantities

Chemicals in small quantities

From: Linda S. Roundhill <artsconservation<-a>
Date: Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Susan White <smwhitewhite [at] aim__com> writes

>As a private conservator I frequently find myself in need of small
>quantities of chemicals ...
>Any thoughts from the community about this problem?  Wondering if we
>could set up some kind of online "craigslist" exchange program or a
>central storehouse where conservators could send unused chemicals as
>donations to other conservators.  I don't know how this could be
>done, and done safely and in accordance with federal laws regarding
>the shipping of chemicals, but if such a program could be set up,
>even informally, it could save the community quite a bit of money.

Susan, I have been longing for just such a thing for years.   I
would start a list exchange myself but I have no idea how.  While I
think the DistList could be a useful forum, I think it may clog up
the already long lists of things to read.  An ancillary list or
sub-list or sub-chapter, or something would be nice...a list to look
through if you wanted, but could ignore if not.  A national/local
Craig's list for conservators/museums would be ideal. I have tons of
stuff I know I will never use up in a *lifetime*.  As you mentioned,
though, there are many restrictions on sending hazardous materials
through carriers, so some trade would have to remain local, while
others could be more interstate.  Otherwise, it would have to become
a business for someone in order to arrange for proper shipping, and
there goes your cost savings.

I hope some clever person can figure this out, because I, also, am
tired of having to purchase huge amounts of expensive materials for
a few grams to test or add to a formulation.

I believe it is one of the reasons many private contractors have
trouble making ends meet ... there is so much capital tied up in
surplus supplies, many of which expire while waiting to be used!

Linda Roundhill
Art and Antiquities Conservation, LLC
Woodinville WA
USA