Subject: The Newspaper Archive Summit

The Newspaper Archive Summit

From: Jake Nadal <jnadal<-a>
Date: Monday, March 7, 2011
The Newspaper Archive Summit

More than 160 U. S. Newspapers have either quit business or stopped
publishing a print edition during the past three years.  How can we
make sure that a community's history and cultural record does not
cease to exist?  How can we make sure that digital news products
currently being created by online news organizations are preserved
and accessible for citizens and scholars in the twenty-second
century?

On April 10-12, 2011, a diverse group of stakeholders will meet here
at the Reynolds Journalism Institute (University of Missouri,
Columbia) to have a conversation about preserving news content.
We're calling it the Newspaper Archive Summit:  Rescuing orphaned
and digital content. Conference website:

    <URL:http://www.rjionline.org/
        events/stories/newpaper-archive/index.php>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Registration is free.

Preserving newspaper collections involves many disciplines. If
you're among any of the following, we hope you'll join us in this
important conversation:

    Stewardship organizations  (libraries, museums, digital
    archives)

    Print and Online News content publishers and organizations

    Experts in news copyright

    Academic and community scholars who depend on news content for
    their research

    Genealogy community

    Commercial vendors and content aggregators

Panel discussions on Day 1 will include:

    How it is in the public interest to preserve and provide access
    to news content.

    Copyright and third party vendor issues

    The need for preservation and access of this content from the
    perspectives of scholars and genealogists

    The needs and concerns of news content creators and publishers

    Successful commercial and non-commercial digitization projects.

Day 2 will bring together diverse groups in developing a plan for
creating partnerships and incentives to preserve and provide access
to analog and digital news content.

Among the significant recommendations of the Blue Ribbon Task Force
on Sustainable Digital Preservation and Access
<URL:http://brtf.sdsc.edu/> is the creation of public/private
partnerships and to define incentives for commercial entities to
hand off public interest content to stewardship organizations for
preservation. This conference is an important first step in those
goals. We will look forward to seeing you in Columbia in April,
2011.

Contact

    Carner
    carnerd<-a t->missouri< . >edu