Subject: New book on painting conservation

New book on painting conservation

From: Hai-yen Hua-Stroefer <hua<-a>
Date: Thursday, February 24, 2011
I would like to draw your attention to my new publication "Buddha's
brush, Buddha's paste", which I finished in October 2010. It is
about the restoration-process of one Buddhist painting, a rare
Japanese Taima-Mandala of the 14th century. The book is the result
of a long-term research project--an extensive case-study. It is
written in English and German and includes the essentials of all my
expert knowledge, gathered from thirty years of restoration work.

The book is divided into three sections. The first one invites the
reader to follow the restoration work, from the initial planning
through to final framing. The European and Far Eastern working
methods are explained in detail and shown in many illustrations,
presenting both the tools and the materials employed. The second
section explores the mandala's creation and its teachings, as
Buddhism spread along the Silk Road, from its origins in India, to
its full flowering in Tang Dynasty China, and onward to Japan. The
third section reveals the spiritual background of the Taima-Mandala
and examines how it translates the Contemplation Sutra into visual
images. The sutra is presented as a vivid drama, in which the
aspirant through self-cultivation finally reaches the Pure Land of
Buddha Amitabha.

For further details please have a look at the information-sheet
enclosed or visit my website:
<URL:http://www.buddha-art-restoration.de>

Hai-Yen Hua-Stroefer
The Hai Yen Institute for Conservation of Works of Art (HICA)
USt.-IdNr.: DE 149138080
Karl-Kuntz-Weg 9
68163 Mannheim
+49 621 413631