Subject: Environmental monitoring equipment

Environmental monitoring equipment

From: Nicholas Rayner <n.rayner<-a>
Date: Monday, February 14, 2011
Emily Prehoda <emilyprehoda [at] hotmail__com> writes

>I am currently working with a University Art Museum that is in a
>position to purchase new environmental monitoring equipment:
>Temperature/RH data-loggers, and Light meters.

At present we use TinyTags. These record the temperature and RH at
intervals which you can specify, I have ours set to every 30
minutes. It is necessary to download the data physically from the
units, I have the software installed on a laptop, and just go round
and connect to each unit every month and download the data. They
seem to be fairly accurate, they arrive calibrated and can be
recalibrated, but this has to be done by the manufacturer. The data
you get is a simple graph showing the readings, and you can view it
as a table of data. It is possible to copy and paste the data from
this table into Excel or any other spreadsheet, and obviously from
there you can extract any data you require. I have a spreadsheet
into which I plug the data which gives me the highest and lowest
temperature and RH for each day, and also the number and percentage
of days on which the readings are outside those recommended for
archive storage.

Nic Rayner
Conservator
Greater Manchester County Record Office (with Manchester Archives)
56 Marshall Street
New Cross
Manchester M4 5FU
+44 161 819 4703
Fax: +44 161 839 3808

                Distributed: Saturday, February 19, 2011