Subject: Sealant or coating for marble

Sealant or coating for marble

From: Vanessa Wiggin <vanessa<-a>
Date: Tuesday, February 15, 2011
David Turnbull <dturnbull [at] edmontonarts__ab__ca> writes

>We have an upcoming large scale artwork that will be carved from
>Vermont Mountain White Marble and Vermont Danby Marble with a honed
>finish. It will be permanently displayed indoors in a heavily
>trafficked public space. The artist has recommended using a water-
>based penetrating sealant to protect and facilitate easier cleaning
>from water and oil-based staining. I am concerned about its
>irreversibility. Anyone with experience with successes or failures
>of penetrating sealants or opinions on coatings that could be
>applied before it is installed would be appreciated. ...

One solution may be to apply a sacrificial anti-graffiti coating
such as PSS20, which is based on polysaccharides.  These coatings
are invisible if applied well, removable in hot water and will allow
the stone to breath.

Vanessa Wiggin
Director of Conservation
ArtWorks Conservation
+61 8 9593 5718
+61 402 137 826

                Distributed: Saturday, February 19, 2011