Subject: Barcodes for works of art on paper

Barcodes for works of art on paper

From: Graeme Gollan <ggollan<-a>
Date: Wednesday, February 2, 2011
We at the National Galleries of Scotland are currently considering
barcoding our collection of works of art on paper. The majority of
works are window mounted in traditional fashion and typically stored
in Solander Boxes.

The major issues from a technical viewpoint are the barcodes
themselves and exactly how and where they should be applied to the
window mounts. Clearly another concern is the material and adhesives
used for the barcodes.

I am aware that a number of Libraries have successfully employed the
system for books and I would welcome any feedback on the subject
good, bad or indifferent, particularly in the arena of the Print
Room.

Graeme Gollan
Senior Conservator
National Galleries of Scotland