Subject: Pheromone traps

Pheromone traps

From: Rachael Perkins Arenstein <rachael<-a>
Date: Friday, February 4, 2011
Catherine Wittamore <catherine.wittamore [at] googlemail__com>
writes

>I'm just putting together an IPM plan for a museum store, using
>resources the museum already has available.  They haven't done any
>pest monitoring before, but they do have a stock of sticky blunder
>traps.  They are the type that come with pheromone lure tablets and
>no data on the tablet packet as to which pest species they are
>designed to target.  Can anyone tell me what the current thinking is
>on using lures?  Is it better to record the 'natural' catch rather
>than using an attractant?

Members of the Integrated Pest Management Working Group compiled a
tips sheet on the use of pheromone traps for museum monitoring which
can be found in the Monitoring section of our
<URL:http://www.museumpests.net> website.  The information addresses
the following questions:

    What are pheromones?

    Are there different types of pheromones?

    How do pheromone traps work?

    Won't I attract pests into my collections with pheromone traps?

    Why use pheromone traps rather than sticky traps?

    For what species are pheromone traps available?

    How long are the traps good for?

    Are pheromone traps safe for humans?

    Aside from standard sticky traps and pheromone traps what other
    traps can I use to identify pest problems in my collections?

If you have additional questions I would recommend you contact the
staff at Insects Limited which does a lot of research into the
development of pheromone lures.

Rachael
IPM-Working Group Co-Chair
Rachael Perkins Arenstein
A.M. Art Conservation, LLC
Art Conservation, Preservation and Collection Management

                 Distributed: Sunday, February 6, 2011