Subject: Repairing utilitarian objects

Repairing utilitarian objects

From: George Bailey <george.bailey<-a>
Date: Monday, January 31, 2011
Laura Furman <laura [at] midwayvillage__com> writes

>We recently loaned another museum a World War I era ashtray from the
>local Army training camp, Camp Grant. In the process of exhibiting
>it, the borrower broke it cleanly in two. It is glazed and had a few
>chips in it prior to the loan. Although it is the responsibility of
>the borrower to fund its repair, I am uncertain that it makes sense
>to send it to a conservator in that it is a very utilitarian piece.
>Are there any recommendations on how I could do an in-house
>treatment correctly? I'm not sure what products are out there that
>would be appropriate to the material, reversible, etc.

I don't understand why any museum wouldn't accept the services of a
professional conservator if a borrower is paying to have repaired a
loan item that was damaged in their custody. That doesn't make
sense, unless the museum has its own conservator(s).

Ashtrays are made from all sorts of materials, although in this case
it sounds like the ashtray is made from a ceramic. But even then,
there are many different types of ceramics, and the choice of repair
product will depend on the ceramic type. A reputable ceramics
conservator will know what is the best adhesive to use for a
particular type of ceramic, and how best to apply it.

Just because it is a utilitarian piece does not mean it is not
valuable--historically or monetarily. How many were made, and how
many are still extant? How difficult would it be to find another
one, and how much would you have to pay for it? Why did the museum
acquire it in the first place? Was it used by significant historical
figure or group?

George Bailey
Senior Objects Conservator
Australian War Memorial